Saturday, October 19, 2013

Indigenous/Native American Beadwork Artist Melissa Buffalo




Melissa Buffalo
and her children





Beadwork is a Native American's must-have when it comes to the regalia they wear as they are engaging in the pow-wows (a gathering of Native Americans for celebrations and various dance competitions) scattered throughout the U.S.. I would venture to say that it ranks right up there with frybread. (A fried dough that is a staple in many Native American cultures)

Beadwork for those of you, who are not familiar with it, is an intricately designed piece of artwork that Native Americans use to represent themselves in many areas of their lives. For example, when they worship, and perform their sacred ceremonies, and when they dance at the pow-wows.

It is the sewing together of tiny little colorful beads into patterns or images. It can be worn as jewelry or as an ornamental piece in their regalia.

This next artist I am about to interview has chosen to create beautiful and colorful jewelry pieces. Her work includes earrings, bracelets, and medallions. Her name is Melissa Buffalo

Melissa, when did you start beading?

I started beading in high school at a program called Upward Bound, they taught us to bead, using the peyote stitch and it stayed with me.

What inspires you to create your beadwork?
My Lakota and Meskwaki culture, I try to incorporate them into my designs so when people look at the beadwork they may have some idea of where it came from. I also let people choose their colors, that seems to sell more when people have requests and also have certain colors that are popular. I try to make each piece unique and not duplicate, so that is what makes it time consuming, but I love it. I love when people wear my pieces and send me pictures or people come to me because they saw my work.

How does being Native American affect your craft?

My beadwork is who I am as a Native person. Seeing other Native work and how beautiful our culture is, how vibrant it is and the love I have for supporting other Natives truly comes from being a Native person who was raised around other Natives.

What made you decide to use social media to market yourself and your work?

Because today’s world is moving so fast and people are using the web to pretty much do everything, shop, socialize, meet and be kept up to date.

What type of technology do you use?

I have a twitter, Instagram, and Facebook accounts that highlight my work but my Facebook page “Butterflybuffalo” is now my primary source for advertising my work. I also have Etsy but didn’t really get into it and didn’t give my work enough time to be highlighted there. You pay Etsy for each piece, then they also take a small percent when you sell, and PayPal also takes a percent. It wasn't worth it to me at the beginning. I love Facebook, everyone is on there, and older Natives are starting to use it, which is so cute! I would love to see my dad on there, wait maybe not.

How has technology empowered you?

I love it. A page can travel fast when I post work on Facebook and Instagram. I think it makes it easier than having to purchase a booth at an event or pow-wow to advertise you work.


I would like to thank Melissa for taking the time to answer my questions and for allowing me the opportunity to show her wonderful beadwork on my blog.

I am very proud of this Native woman and her desire to represent her Native pride through her beadwork.

Blessings on your journey Melissa!

Click here to contact Melissa Buffalo:


1 comment: