Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Indigenous/Native American/Entrepreneur/Artist Edwin Conway



I  recently had the privilege of conducting a phone interview with an American Indian artist by the name of Edwin Conway. He is an artist on staff and part owner of a t-shirt company by the name of INDIGENOUS INUS. This company is owned entirely by Native American tribal members. 

He is a member of the Paiute and Shoshone tribe, who lives on the Stillwater reservation located near the town of Fallon Nevada.

I asked him if he considered himself an artist, he was hesitant at first but slowly commented with a yes. He stated that he thought he was never good enough and questioned his own credibility.  I think as fellow artists we can relate to being our own worst critics.

He began to draw when he was in 5th grade when he became interested in comics. He said it eventually lead him to graffiti which was big in the 80’s and that this type of artistry made him better.


He was also inspired by the other people he hung out with who were also practicing their drawing abilities.

He was raised in Oakland California till he was 18, then moved back and forth for awhile until deciding to settle down on the Stillwater reservation.

I asked him how being Native American has enriched his art. He said that it gives him something and somewhere to pull from; by “living on the rez” he is able to catch within himself the feeling that other Native Americans feel. This enables him to put into each piece a bit of himself. “It empowers me to show them the creativity in me”; “I see them in it”.

He wants them to think, “What I am buying is ME”.  He said, “I know what they are feeling and where they are coming from”. He wants them to feel that they are being represented in the art he makes.

As for how technology has empowered him he says that it helps him to do more and it also helps him to better express himself. It gives him more tools to work with and helps with clarity and speed.

It has enabled him to obtain exposure for his art work and for himself as an artist. He believes that technology has helped him get further than he could have otherwise. He said, “I am able to go across to other states and I don’t need to be present to get this 
done”.

I am happy for this Indigenous independent artist and what he has accomplished so far. May he be blessed as he continues on his journey.

I would like to thank Mr. Conway for allowing me the opportunity to interview him and for allowing me the chance to display his art here on my blog. It has been a pleasure getting to know him and to see his creations. 

Click here to see more Native apparel:
http://www.indigenous-inus.com/
http://instagram.com/inuscustomapparel
https://twitter.com/indigenous_inus
EDWIN CONWAY-PAIUTE/SHOSHONE














1 comment: